The Hotel Goldene Rose History
In 1770 a papal delegation from Rome was travelling to Vienna to pay homage to Empress Maria Theresa with the "Goldene Rose", one of the highest papal honors. While passing through Val Pusteria, the delegation stayed at the inn "Zum Christlwirt". After this important visit, the inn was renamed "Zur Goldenen Rose".
In 1478, the Prince Bishop of Bressanone, as lord of Brunico, strengthened the protecting walls by building the so-called "Sinwell". This Torre Rotunda (Round Tower) is today the symbol of the Hotel Goldene Rose.
Since 1872 the Hotel Goldene Rose has been owned by the Hinterhuber family, now in its sixth generation. The hotel has been completely renovated respecting the buildings history while conforming to the principles of the modern hotel industry.
Art lovers staying at the hotel will be treated to richly carved high Gothic cabinets, Baroque writing desks and late Gothic four poster beds. Over the years, paintings and furniture by South Tyrolean artists have been added, giving the historic Hotel Goldene Rose Hinterhuber its special charm.